Re: Bloat thread

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:57:38 -0600

Hi Arvind,

> mm. I'm trying to do a front-end, and I can see one problem. The current
> config scripts are meant to be interpreted rather than compiled.
> As of now, all the constructs _can_ be compiled eg to create a web
> form. However, since the linus tree is not guaranteed to maintain this
> behaviour, this might become false in the future.

I have some good news for you: the world of configuration is moving in
the direction that you want. Because lots of other people want this, too.

Check out Documentation/kbuild/config-language.txt in 2.2.2-pre1.
It's far from perfect but we now have a written specification for
Config Language.

Also, you don't even have to write a parser; you can use my parser
and drop your back-end code into it. Here it is:

ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/experimental/mconfig-0.14.tar.bz2

Jim Bray is working on gtk-mconfig. I am focussed on 2.2.X and I won't
be working on this any more until some time after the 2.3.0 split.

This ought to make web-based configuration a much more approachable
project.

Also there's a mailing list for all kinds kernel building issues:

linux-kbuild@torque.net
linux-kbuild-request@torque.net

It's a Majordomo list; send a "subscribe" line if you want to join.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"