Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Juhani Rautiainen (jrauti@sasu1.carelian.fi)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:40:07 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Shawn Leas wrote:
>
> >> # On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 jfulmer@secnetgroup.com wrote:
> >> #
> >> # > Again, these problems seem not to happen with AMD processors below 350MHz.
> >> # > The one I have is running just fine at 333Mhz. And I have swapped all the
> >> # > hardware in testing.
> >> # >
> >> #
> >> # 333 MHz = 95 Mhz bus, 350 = 100 MHz bus.
> >>
> >> Uhh, 333 = 66 mhz bus, 350 = 100 mhz bus MAYBE ... it is with Pentiums,
> >> is it true with AMD's too?
> >
> >AMD methinks uses 95.
>
> Nope. 66 and 100. I've got a 300 and a 350 here right now.
> Both use 100, but will also work at 66 no prob. The 350 won't
> work in Windows 98 though.

AMD K6-2 uses 66, 95 and 100 MHz bus settings. There is patch of chips
which use AFR66 marking because they don't work reliably over that
bus frequency. So 333 and 380 use 95 MHz bus. Maybe people who have
problems with 350 but not with 333 whould try 300 to see if problems
start appearing again. Then you can say that it has something to do
with 100 MHz bus and work from there. You could also try to raise
processor input voltage 0.1 Volts to see if that makes a difference.
That shouldn't do any harm because it's still within specifications.

> Someone said that Windows had a bug with AMD chips. Anyone know
> where I can find out more on this? I'd prefer to stay away from
> Microsofts rediculous website if possible.

This problem was with Win95 and not with 98 and I can verify that
because my machine also runs Win98 for gaming use at 400 MHz (it's
overclocked but still it runs as fine as can be expected under Win98).
Also there hasn't been any problems with linux but I'm using old
EDO-SIMMs so memory timing problems might not show up. My motherboard is
VA-503+ (V1.2) with newest BIOS.

Juhani

--
Juhani Rautiainen			jrauti@iki.fi