Re: Pb compiliing linux-arm [another one]

Russell King (rmk@milldev.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:22:02 +0000 (GMT)

Please note that I don't think that any of the people concerned with
this problem are on l-k. Please post any replies to linux-arm as well
as linux-kernel. Thanks.

Nicolas Pitre said:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Russell King - ARM Linux Admin wrote:
> > christophe.leroy5@capway.com writes:
> > > Thinks, it seems to be a bug in menuconfig: Choose
> > > FOOTBRIDGE:
> > > new options come. Then choose EBSA110, options dont go.
> > > Exit menuconfig, then relaunch it: extra options have disappeared.
> >
> > Ok, I've changed it from a choice to a bool.
>
> Thing is if you have a default value for a choice and you select another,
> the previous (default) value doesn't get discarded. So you get two
> definition from the same choice prompt. The 'choice' command should
> discard all variable but the one selected, not just defining the one that
> you select.

It's actually more complicated than that. 'choice' does not behave the same
way as the other commands in the config file - it is never grayed out under
any circumstances, and I also suspect that even when it is supposed to be
grayed out and no options selected, it still defines one option.

I don't think it's a case of undefining the unselected variables. The
config is:

select machine using choice

if machine was a footbridge
select host or add-in from a choice

Since the 'if' makes no odds to the second choice in xconfig, it breaks.

I'll post this to linux-kernel as well. If they want to see the exact case,
have a look at the latest ARM config.in patches for 2.2.1 on
ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.2

--
Russell King (rmk@milldev.demon.co.uk)