Re: 2.2.1, TCP connect failure never times out

Brad Kemp (kemp@indusriver.com)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:27:48 -0500

I can't see any redhat sites in the DNS. Other DNS queries return
much faster than those to redhat.
Even adding a dot to the end of the name to stop the DNS search from
trickling down the usable domains does not seem to speed things up.

Queries to non-existant hosts (www.somedumbhost.com) come return in a
timely manner. This may be a problem with Redhat's ISP
Brad

At 01:09 PM 2/3/99 -0500, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>RH5.2 w/2.2.1, aiming at any random host that's unreachable:
>
> [1053] [12:51:43] beaver:~> telnet news.redhat.com nntp
> Trying 199.183.24.231...
> [ minutes pass ]
> [ drumming fingers on desk ]
> [ finally hit ^C ]
>
> [1054] [12:58:54] beaver:~>
>
>I first noticed this because Gnus inside XEmacs was trying to make
>essentially this same connection, hanging XEmacs entirely as a result.
>
>It seems to be generally the case for me, that attempts to contact
>unavailable hosts w/TCP just don't ever give up and return ETIMEDOUT.
>
>Is my experience unusual? Or is something seriously wrong?
>
>-

--- -- --
Brad Kemp
Indus River Networks, Inc. BradKemp@indusriver.com