Re: Sound and VIA

robbie@scot-mur.demon.co.uk
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:03:37 +0000

Hi

I also have problems with sound, mainly when using full duplex when there
is hard disk (ide) activity. The sound seams to slow down and speed up. It
does the same thing with ping -f localhost, but I guess that's not a good
idea anyway.

via chipset.
Aztech multimedia pro 16 audio board, using sgalaxy driver.
k6 pr 300, 128 mb sdram (pc 100) bus is running at 100 mhz.

Regards

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 01:48:32PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Other people have been reporting miscellaneous DMA-related problems with
> > the VIA chipset as well, so I'd strongly suspect that there's something
> > very funky about either it, or the way Linux interacts with it. (Most
> > notably, the sound card crashes don't occur under Windows or DOS.)
>
> If you mean with the soundblaster then thats because the Windows drivers for
> it these days seem to contain workarounds
>

> -

Robbie Murray