Re: [patch] Katmai/PIII support #2, pre-2.2.2-1

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 18:17:59 +1100 (EST)

MOLNAR Ingo wrote the following:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, CaT wrote:
>
> > > the (attached) #2 version of the patch:
> >
> > I'm wondering. Should not arch/i386/Makefile be changed so that it includes
> > something like this?
> >
> > ifdef CONFIG_M686FX
> > CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686
> > endif
>
> correct, thanks. I've added something like this:
>
> ifdef CONFIG_M686FX
> CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -m486 -DCPU=686
> endif
>
> just for fun. these newer CPUs have not nearly that bad alignment behavior
> and much more cache than older ones.

Cool. Nice to see I wasn't offbeam. As for alignments, if it helps I'd say
use it. It can't really hurt, can it? Especially if you don't have a Xeon
or a PIII but a newer PII.

As for the patch, using it right now with -mpentiumpro and my version
of the above and it's working well. Hasn't blown up my computer at any
rate. :) I can't say if it's working any better though. I have a Pentium
II (Deschutes).

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

There was farting in the air that night, It lit so bright, Fernando...