Re: A module bug in 2.2.1?

Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:23:41 -0800 (PST)

>From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
[...]
>I upgraded to modutils 2.1.121. This message is gone. Now I get

>request_module[net-pf-1]: fork failed, errno 11
>NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.

>during the boot. I guess the bug may be in kernel and modutils. The
>"unix" module is used by many programs. Everyone tries to load the
>same thing at the same time. I will take a look to see if I can
>fix it.

>H.J.

I "guarantee" you that the reason for the segmentation fault
is a memory allocation failure because the infinitely recursive
invocations (modprobe -> syslog -> wants unix sockets -> modprobe).

You are probably missing the following line from /etc/conf.modules:

alias net-pf-1 unix

I just tried "modprobe -s an_unknown_module", and indeed it
does try to log the failed request for an unknown module via syslog.
If you already have that net-pf-1 line in your /etc/conf.module, you
might want to try this:

mv /sbin/modprobe /sbin/modprobe.real
cat > /sbin/modprobe << EOF
#!/bin/sh
echo "$*" >> /tmp/modprobe.log
EOF
reboot

This will put a list of the modules that the kernel is
tring to load in /tmp/modprobe.log.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."