Re: Anti-Linux SMP FUD

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:53:40 +0100

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 03:40:53PM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> > >Really? I thought it was simply irrelevant, as long as the path from
> > >syscall -> FS -> I/O is short enough.
> >
> > It is just that, FUD.
> > Here is an article "Linux and Samba kick NT's butt".
> > http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issue/0,4537,387506,00.html
> > The article is not about SMP but shows general Linux I/O to be
> > twice as fast as NT. (we already knew that :)
>
> Yes, which means that the serialized read/write paths _are_ irrelevant.
> Like I said. Right?

They are relevant. More parallel machines are getting more and more popular.
So far people haven't complained about Linux's scalability, most probably
since the applications they were using were scaling almost perfectly. This
is changing. Also there is a lower limit for optimizing the r/w path given
by the hardware. As low as it may be - on highly parallel machines it's some
kind of wall we will run into that wall and we need to get around it.

Ralf