Re: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on

Arvind Sankar (arvinds@mit.edu)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:57:40 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 03:50:38AM +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Arvind Sankar wrote:

> > > You could not get 100% compatibility with ANY change (even if you'll just fix
> > > bug this will probably broke someone program! that's why quite a few well-known
> > > bugs in Windows could not be fixed)...
> >
> > I assume this is a joke...
> >
> Unfortunatelly not. I'm could kill ANY WindowsNT system without Admin or
> even Power User access just by doing some nasty things with DDE. Why it's
> not fixed ? "Oh, this will break so many programs..."

bum. sorry. I wasn't clear. That's not what I meant. I meant that any program
which _depends_ on a bug deserves to break, and anybody who thinks otherwise is
nuts. Good software works _around_ bugs, it doesn't use them. When u fix the
bug, the software doesn't break. Whole point of being open: you know what the
guys meant to do, even if they didn't do it right.

-- arvind