Re: help me please

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:24:06 +0300 (MSK)

In <19990205203643.AAA15363@pcs486> Mattthew D. Pitts (mpitts@suite224.net) wrote:
MP> Guys,

MP> ----------
>> From: Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
>> To: hsmith@dockside.co.za; roshan@MahindraBT.com
>> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>> Subject: RE: help me please
>> Date: Thursday, February 04, 1999 9:03 AM
>>
>> In <XFMail.990204152827.hsmith@dockside.co.za> hsmith@dockside.co.za
MP> (hsmith@dockside.co.za) wrote:
>> > in fdisk there in the delete partition option there is a delete NON-DOS
>> > partition .. use that :)
>>
>> Please think before write. Windows98 fdisk could remove ONLY primary
MP> non-dos
>> partitions, not extended ones. You could remove all Linux partitions with
>> Linux's fdisk (just not forgot to run "FDISK /MBR" from Windows98 "MS-DOS
MP> mode"
>> to completely remove LiLo!) but this will not help Windows98 any jot --
MP> Linux
>> will be rmoved but Windows98 will not work anyway :-)) If partition table
MP> is
>> not corrupt then Linux COULD NOT affect Windows98 when it's not running!
MP> If he's installed Redhat Linux, it can. The 'findfast' utility is trying to
MP> scan the extended partition that Disk Druid uses to create the Linux
MP> partitions. His best bet is to use linux fdisk to create primary partitions
MP> on the drive.

No. findfast does not scan partitions -- it scan disks ! And if Windows98 will
not find Linux partition (and how Windows98 could find partition of type 83
anyway?) what bad could happens with it ? BTW I'm have the following
configuration here:
hda1->Windows 98 (FAT12, boot)
hda2->Windows NT (FAT12, boot)
hda3->MS DOS 6.22 (FAT12, boot)
hda4->Extended
hda5->Windows 98 (FAT32, D:\WINDOWS)
hda6->Windows NT (NTFS, D:\WINNT)
hda7->Windows 3.11(FAT16, D:\WINDOWS)
hda8->Linux native(EXT2FS)
hda9->Linux swap
and Windows98 is NOT confused by both Linux partitions and Windows NT (NTFS)
partitions !