Re: Linux Graphics Architecture (format fixed)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 01:37:37 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, David Schleef wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 12:00:55AM -0500, Ben Bridgwater wrote:
> >
> > Much more than that! :) I'm really looking for a complete solution. It's no
> > good having your X server happily coexist with the framebuffer if the whole
> > thing snarfs up when I run some game that directly accesses the graphics
> > hardware. We need to provide an efficient low level device driver that even
> > games writers will be happy to use. I think it would be a shame to put a lot of
> > effort into an X-only solution.
>
> Will this "efficient low level device driver" work over a network as
> well as X does? Given that gigabit ethernet is just around the corner,
> bandwidth is _not_ a problem. I wouldn't like to see a situation
> develop where game writers choose a limiting, non-standard interface
> to get short-term performance increase. There already is a complete
> solution. It's called X.
>
> X or text. If you think X is too slow, fix it.

Oh my god... I can't believe I'm reading this... Please do not post
this kind of nonsense. You obviously are WAY too intelligent to waste
your time here while so many crimes go unsolved... Run, dont walk,
to your local precinct and put your deductive skills to work!

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2209 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2228 for the rich and the dead.
713 days remaining in the Raw Deal.