Re: 2.3 wish (was: where to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?)

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:39:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, David Taylor wrote:

> Hrm, perhaps someone should create a script (or new make target) which
> would, if executed after the kernel was configured, delete all unecessary
> architecture details (Of course, don't do this by default, incase people
> want to build from the same source, but for differenct archs).
>
> Or even (though this is going waaay too far): delete any parts of the
> kernel you aren't using. Thats a bit stupid though..

I've really tried to avoid prolonging the thread by being quiet
until now, but here's hoping I can bring it to a more prompt end...
For those that want to save ~10M of unneeded source tree, use
Buildkernel (see .sig for location). In addition to running the entire
build from download to lilo, it automatically deletes the code for the
other architectures (arch and asm). The deletion is done _after_ applying
patches so patching still works as expected.
It doesn't delete things like sbus, mac, etc. drivers right now
because I haven't taken the time to learn which dirs are needed for which
architectures. If it's important to you, patches are welcome!
In an attempt to bring linux-kernel back ON-topic, I'd suggest
that buildkernel questions be brought to private mail. _Please_.
Cheers,
- Bill