Re: /dev/sdh can't be opened?

Nomad the Wanderer (nomad@orci.com)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:00:37 -0700

Actually, I have 2 UW controllers with 8 drives on the first, 2 (zip+jaz) and
CDR/scanner on second controller.

The problem was the minor #'s. I did them to 8 instead of 16.

Robert

Thus spake Neil Cherry (ncherry@home.net):

> Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
> >
> > I just added some new drives to my system. I now have 8 drives a zip
> > and a jaz. The zip and jaz are on a separate controller so cable length
> > shouldn't be an issue. e-h are in a case together. I can fdisk a-g, but
> > h-j can't be opened. Originally there was no sdh* sdi* or sdj*. I created
> > them, couldn't access them, rebooted and still couldn't access them.
> >
> > Here's sdg and sdh: (g works, h doesn't)
> >
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 96 May 5 1998 /dev/sdg
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> sda would be the first SCSI device (not including the controller)
> sdg would be the last SCSI device
>
> 7 drives plus 1 controller. Either am I missing something here
> or you have too many drives.
>
> That 8th drive belongs on another controller (if you using the
> standard 8 device SCSI).
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@home.net
> http://members.home.net/ncherry (Text only)
> http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/lightsey/52 (Graphics)

Robert L. Harris | Windows is to Unix
Senior System Administrator II | what 'hooked on phonics'
at Great West Life. \_ is to Shakespeare

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI: