Re: [patch] real fix [Re: [patch] fixed 2.2.1 inode-leakage due bogus design of the free_inodes algo

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:18:58 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 12:46:43AM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
>> free_inode_memory() is ok to not be recalled from try_to_free_pages()
>> because it can't generate more free memory but only more clean inode to
>> reuse in the filesystem so only the fs must call it when get_new_inode()
>> or something similar fails.
>
>Except in NTFS (I think), where clea{r,n}ing an inode frees up some memory
>allocated specifically by the file system.

Again: free_inode_memory() don't generate free memory: it _only_ move
inodes from one list to another list.

Could you show me the code you think is freeing memory?

Andrea Arcangeli