Re: Kernel 2.1.125 on PowerPC 601.

Michael Meissner (meissner@cygnus.com)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:27:08 -0500

On Wed, Oct 08, 1980 at 12:38:45PM -0500, Andres A. Buss wrote:
> I have a IBM PowerPC 601, and I'm worried about if it
> can run kernels 2.1.x, I already have compiled one...
> and it didn't boot up. Actually none of the images that I could
> get passed the decompress sequence. They just frezzes up.

The 2.2.1 kernels don't boot on some prep/chrp boxes (like my Motorola NET
4000/200 for instance). I think the ppc developers are going to be going over
the whole boot process in a bit. You might try the diffs at:

ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/gary/diffs-2.2.0p7-Jan20

Note, drivers/char/pc_keyb.c won't apply, and you'll need to apply the changes
by hand (or not apply them if you don't care about the mouse port). You might
want to subscribe to the linuxppc development mailing list
(linuxppc-dev@lists.linuxppc.org is the mailing list, and

As I recall, there are some differences from the 601 to the other PowerPC's,
but I think Linux may be aware of them.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA