Re: [SPAM] The New Bible of Dating!! (x11) (fwd)

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:31:45 -0800 (PST)

On 14 Feb 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.05.9902120721310.2093-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>
> By author: Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Gerhard Mack wrote:
> >
> > > Windows machines with 1080 open and/or 23 that answers with "wingate>"
> > > It's seems a lot of spammers are using somone else's to do their
> > > nasties.
> >
> > Ah, that explains all the 1080 connects I've been seeing in my logs
> > whenever I log onto the internet. Looks like these dickheads are port
> > scanning machines for the wingate hole. =)
> >

> 1080 is usually the SOCKS port - do Windows machines speak SOCKS, or
> is this some kind of (broken) firewall package?
>
> -hpa

Its a broken modem sharing package (all security off by default), though
I've seen it used as a firewall for some Japanese bank (they took it down
REAL fast).
It's telnet redirector has the same problem ... you simply connect and
type in the address of the host you want, no password required. With
hundreds of these damn things in use, it's become a popular means of
causing trouble without being traced. To top it off logging is only
available in the registered version. Since the user never sees a
problem until somone terminates their account for something they
didn't do to they just happily go on using it. Wingate software has
ignored any complaints that their software is a hazard to the internet and
have refused to fix it.

This gets worse; Compaq is now reported as bundling this software
package with some of some of their machines.

See http://www.wingate.com for more info.

And for the good of the net: boycott Compaq until they get a clue!!

Gerhard

--
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.