Re: rmdir of a busy directory

Thierry Danis (danis@mail.dotcom.fr)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:17:50 +0100

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 08:36:16AM +0100, Martin Tessun wrote:

[...]
> So perhaps this isn't POSIX (I don't really know POSIX that much), but I
> think this is the correct behaviour. You normally don't cut the tree you
> are sitting on.

You are able to unlink a file that is opened and used by yourself
or another process.
You are able to rmdir your current directory by typing
rmdir `pwd`. So I do not see why we should take care of the
name of the directory to reject the deletion (`pwd` versus '.').

And yes, the 2.0.xx kernels returned an 'Operation not permitted'
on 'rmdir .' and the only serious reason to revert to that test
is to maintain compatibility.

> So IMHO you may discuss the error-code, but it really should be a error,
> as this is so in (as I think) all OSs. (Even in SunOS 4.x a BSD-Unix it
> returned an Error.)

[...]

> Bye
> Martin