Re: Q: void* vs. unsigned long

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:59:43 +0100 (CET)

> Jakub Jelinek <jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> > long long is defined in ISO C9X, your above definition is no longer true.
> >
> > C9X clearly states in 6.2.1.1:
> >
> > - The rank of long long int shall be greater than the
> > rank of long int, which shall be greater than the rank
> > of int, which shall be greater than the rank of short
> > int, which shall be greater than the rank of signed
> > char.
>
> Interesting, so this tells that:
>
> rank(long long int) > rank(long int) > rank(int) > rank(short int) > rank(char)
>
> While following was the previous definition:
>
> rank(long long int) >= rank(long int) >= rank(int) >= rank(short int) >= rank(char)
>

> Systems do exist where *all* of those have same size, but they are
> usually programmed in Fortran-9X, require liquid cooling, and recognize
> name "Cray" ...

The citation was from section about conversion of numerical types, and
rank is there something different than actual storage size, rang(A) >
rank(B) implies sizeof(A) >= sizeof(B), I thought it is clear. Probably I
should have cited another place which would speak about sizeof and not
ranks...

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University