Device Driver/PNP

Jeff Epler (jepler@inetnebr.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:57:09 -0600

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 11:36:36AM -0530, G Jalaja Devi wrote:
> We are into development of a device driver in linux. The requirement is
> the driver should support Plug and Play. I need documents in this regard.
> I tried downloading from ftp.redhat.com, but the server is not responding.
> Please send me some documents in this regard.

In Linux, ISA Plug & Play capabilities are handled in userspace by the
"isapnptools". A kernel device driver can ignore PnP issues. Just load
yourself as a driver, and either autoprobe or accept I/O, IRQ, DMA settings
configured on the modprobe/insmod commandline.

(The only complication that this generates is that your driver must be
a loadable module)

Jeff

--
\/ http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jepler/           Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com