Re: fsync on large files

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:15:01 GMT

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:06:07 -0500 (EST), Alexander Viro
<viro@math.psu.edu> said:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Another way is to consider the buffer cache as patch. I mean the following
> thing: we have two states of filesystem - on-disk one and (on-disk +
> in-core) one. Contents of buffer cache works as patch that should be
> applied to the former to transform it into the later.

What do you think journaling is? <grin>

This is already working. I'm currently extending ext2fs to call the
joural API to clearly demarkate the beginning and end of each
individual filesystem operation, so that the "patches" (ie. the
journaling transactions) correspond to complete transitions from one
consistent filesystem state to another.

--Stephen