Re: fsync on large files

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:57:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > kinds of major fs modifications - call it "ext3" and after a year or so of
> > in-production use we can drop ext2.
>
> And funnily enough the instructions for applying his patch start
> "copy fs/ext2 to fs/ext3 then..."

... then it continues with touching 90% of the ext2fs code. Linus might
not have seen the code but the point is i think obvious: we do _not_ want
to touch production-level filesystem code. Not, never, ever. Even if this
causes source code bloat for a transition period, but this is how we can
handle these two conflicting constraints: stability and advance. If ext3fs
enters production stage and we have solved the last migration headaches
can we integrate them again. Or just delete the ext2 tree.

-- mingo