Re: fsync on large files

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
17 Feb 1999 23:22:29 +0100

Steven Roberts <strobert@ata-sd.com> writes:
> Kai Henningsen wrote:
> >
> > I should think what one learns is to avoid Seagate drives.
>
> agreed... I once had the misforntune of moving data from a maxtor drive
> that sounded like it was going to die to a seagate barracuda. within a
> week the seagate drive blew itself up (mostly idle machine even)...

Hmm. We have a couple of barracudas here, no problems yet.

Our experience (or rather, a customer who has built 50+ machines with these
things) is that they fail when subjected to prolonged vibrations, i.e. (in
their case) fans which wear out their bearings and become eccentric.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/