Re: Q: void* vs. unsigned long

David Luyer (luyer@ucs.uwa.edu.au)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 19:01:16 +0800

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> p.s. David Luyer added:
> > Although, if you look at the old SPEC benchmarks for Alphas, you'll
> > find
> > a 4 line long list of compiler options, among them options to use 32
> > bit
> > longs and pointers. While the Alpha is a 64-bit machine, it must have
> > benchmarked better as 32-bit initially.
>
> Another possibilty, which I would be inclined strongly suspect, is that
> test suite was broken and whomever was running tests took an easy way
> out.

*bzzzzzzt* wrong.

The "standard" (compiler/portability) flags don't use xtaso, so it is 64-bit
clean code.

The "peak" flags use xtaso_short - it's an optimization.

This is in the specbench.org cpu95 results submitted by DEC. They also
used the magic -32data flag for some programs.

elysium; cat test.c
main() {
printf("%d %d\n", sizeof(char *), sizeof(long));
}
elysium; cc -xtaso_short -32data test.c -o test
elysium; ./test
4 4
elysium;

BTW: That answers someone else's answer about 32 bit longs. It's just
undocumented.

David.