Re: Routing Table (Feature)

Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:44:13 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:
> >
> > > maybe we should build some heuristics into the route command to
> > > try and figure out when we should delete all duplicate routes,
> > > and when not to.
> >
> > I think it's just a BUG plain and simple........
>
> I don't believe you _can_ have duplicate routes. However the
> new routing code includes attributes that "route" doesn't know
> about. If you use "ip route" from iproute2 from ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/
> I think you will find the "duplicate" routes are actually different
> and route simply makes a "best" (ahem :-)) guess at which was meant.

Well the demo code shows that they are duplicate entries as far as the
ioctl() call is concerned and you have to delete twice to get rid
of them. `route` `ip` etc., all make the same ioctl() calls that
the demo code does. There is no other way into the kernel.

I looked at the code ../linux/net/ipv4/fib_frontend.c line 266 and
thought I could make a quick hack to repeatably delete routes.
However, since the first route found is not actually deleted,
there is only a `promise` to delete it, a loop in that section of
code will not work.

If I get some time, I will look deeper. There must be (is) some
way to delete all routining table entries that correspond to a
specific route.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.1 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.