Re: 2.2.1 mkfs.ext2 out of memory

Jon P. deOng (jdeong@cnmnetwork.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:53:28 -0800

It's fixed thanks to Andrzej Krzysztofowicz who gave me the following advice:
I suggest to try -b2048
If it is problem caused by memory fragmentation it should help.
However I don't know mke2fs source code enough to be absolutely sure
I tried this block size and it worked like a charm.
Thanks for the help people
jpd

At 10:50 PM 2/18/99 +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>In <3.0.32.19990218093634.0170e350@popd.cnmnetwork.com> Jon P. deOng
(jdeong@cnmnetwork.com) wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm running a pII 400 with 256Mb of ram with a vanilla 2.2.1 kernel
>> Im trying to create a raid5 array with 4 9gig scsi seagate cheetah drives
>> connected to the external adapter of an adaptec 2940uw controller. My os
>> drive is also a 9gig scsi cheetah on the internal ultra scsi adapter. I
>> have no scsi2 devices at all. I have verified proper termination and turned
>> off the auto term in the adaptec bios.
>> Now I have no problems with mkraid, mdadd, or mdrun. All of these raid
tools
>> report no errors. The problem comes when i try to format /dev/md0
>> my syntax is
>> mkfs.ext2 /dev/md0
>> mkfs gets almost halfway through writing the inode tables and then i get
>> this output
>
>> Writing inode tabels: 1969/3254
>> Out of Memory for mkfs.ext2
>> Killed
>> and i am taken back to my command prompt
>> I have tried this several times with the same result. I have even went into
>> the scsi utilities and verified the media on each drive. Has anyone else
>> seen this problem, or am I just incompetent?:)
>
>I've seen this problem few times when there are not enough REAL memory:
>8MiB RAM/540MiB HDD, 16MiB RAM/1GiB HDD, 64MiB RAM/10GiB HDD, etc.
>In ALL kernel types: 1.0.x (yes, it happened for me back with 1.0.9 kernel
>and appropriate Slackware release :-) 1.2.x and 1.3.x, 2.0.x and 2.2.x...
>It's VERY rare and happened for me ALWAYS when I tried to install Linux on
>new comp (so NO debug tools was avalable on boot floppies :-)
>
>Since it happended for you on full blown system you could try to trace it.
>May be Alan could help you and this FIVE YEAR OLD BUG (AT LEAST FIVE YEAR
OLD!)