Re: 2.1GB File Size Limit

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:12:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 yocum@fnal.gov wrote:

> This is "sort of" a kernel related question as well as a ext2fs
> question:
>
> Is anyone working on the 32-bit addressing problem which limits file
> size to 2.1GB?

Yes. (I think it was) Matti Aarnio who has preliminary patches for
bits of 64bit file support on 32bit machines. They're mostly VFS-level
at the moment, though, and don't provide anything usable yet. Don't
expect to be able to use large files under 32bit Linux for a while yet,
but it will happen.

> (I hear screams of anguish - "Who has files larger than 2GB?!??" We do.
> Gotta love that high energy physics!)
>
> Will 64-bit file system addressing appear only in the kernel for 64-bit
> chips (SPARC, Alpha, Merced, etc.) or can we expect this sometime in the
> future for the "lowly" i386 machines?

It's already there (and working very nicely) for Alpha and Sparc64.

Of course, by the time you need to process >2Gb of data, traditional i386
won't really cut it anyway. (Do SGI have plans to release the VW without
all the expensive graphical stuff? Quite a few people could benefit from
the extra memory/bus bandwidth without having to pay for all the 3D/video
stuff.)

Matthew.