Re: Duplicate routes (temp fix patch)

Krzysztof Halasa (khc@intrepid.pm.waw.pl)
19 Feb 1999 12:09:44 +0100

rani@easynet.fr (Rani Assaf) writes:

> You usally get those 'duplicate' when you add a route to the networks
> attached to your own interfaces. And asking to delete those route
> shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Or it means that you put a
> wrong netmask!

Only if you are doing something standard, like a regular box connected
to a regular ethernet.

What netmask should I specify to prevent adding the route on a network
10.0.1.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and host ip 10.0.1.20 ? Should
I use something other than network netmask, and if so, why? I don't want
this route, it is input-only interface.

It looks for me like Windows NT auto-administration, where you have to
set netmask to 255.255.240.0 (while it's really part of C class), because
other values cause problems.

Doing auto-route setup in ifconfig rather than in kernel, and providing
a switch to ifconfig to disable (or enable) this feature, would make
all of us happy - regular boxes would use simplified scripts, while
other machines wouldn't need to mess with netmasks and deleting routes.

--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator of The Palace of Youth in Warsaw