Re: revision control for the kernel (BitKeeper)

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:23:40 +0100

On Feb 22, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I just went and did some timings to make sure gzip is fast enough.
> I can uncompress a 1.2 MB file (from .2M -> 1.2M) in 100 milliseconds
> (aka an effective rate of 12MB/sec) on a 300Mhz K6. Going the other
> way is slower, about 4MB/sec. But that's reasonable, it means that a
> reasonably high end machine can keep up with the disk arm.

I know that compression ratio is important, but at least for me
(still using a slow PODP83, and maybe may others too) CPU usage is
at least as important. did you ever check `lzo' compression
from Markus Oberhumer <markus.oberhumer@jk.uni-linz.ac.at>
which is much faster than gzip (I'm using it for compressed backups
to keep the tape streaming rather than dripping;) which offers
in-memory compression library. for more information have a look at

http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/lzo.html

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\