Re: Limit on number of SYSV shared memory objects in the kernel

Tuomas Heino (iheino@cc.hut.fi)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:16:05 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Fredrick Meunier wrote:

> Hello all,
> My company has an application that relies on creating 100s of SYSV
> semaphore arrays to control many processes reading a block of SYSV
> shared memory. The default limit on the number of these objects in Linux
> seems to be around 100. Is it possible to increase the number of these
> objects that are available to the 1000 range (without reducing SHMMAX,
> in fact preferably being able to increase SHMMAX to arbitrary size would
> be very useful too)? What would it take to be able to allow this?

I think SHMMAX is run-time configurable up to a gigabyte...
/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
haven't checked out the semaphore array limits yet so can't say anything
about them yet ;)