Further info (WAS Re: I can kill 2.2.1 stone dead with my zip drive)

Sean Hunter (sean@uncarved.co.uk)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:17:10 +0000

I felt ashamed by the vagueness of my previous report (below), so I
did some more digging.

Parport builtin made no difference. (ext2 zip disk still caused a
kernel panic). Using a vfat zip disk, the performance sucked, but
nothing died. Using 2.2.1ac7 made no difference (didn't think it
would). The actual message when it dies is "kernel panic: Inactive in
scsi_request_queueable In swapper task - not syncing"

Nothing makes it to the logs (but I guess it wouldn't with a panic
would it).

If you want to replicate this:
1)sync your disks (and preferably back up)
2)insmod ppa
3)make an ext2 zip disk
4)mount it
5)tar loads of stuff onto it