Re: Using 2.2.x modules with 2.0.x?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:19:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>> > Could you pass me the stuff you are using?
>> Zoltrix radio tuner card.
>
>Time to run 2.2 8)

I am running 2.0.36 primarily, and I dual boot to 2.2.1, however
with all the modutils trouble, and a few other things such as my
CD writer, 2.2.1 is not yet "ready" for me to make the 100% big
switch. I use and enjoy 2.2.x, especially the amazing speedups
with disk access, etc.. but I cannot do without some things that
work in 2.0 but not in 2.2, and dual booting is currently not
working well. Not with the broken modutils anyways.

>There is a video4linux add on layer for 2.0 . I don't think anyone ever
>ported the zoltrix driver to it.

Well, interestingly enough, I installed the card, and I
downloaded "ktuner" for KDE. I set the card configuration to
"Zoltrix" and the card works in 2.0/2.2 with ktuner WITH NO
VID4LINUX MODULES installed. I'm assuming that since it is
likely a simple card with a simple protocol, that the ktuner
software just opens up it's raw port (0x20C) and writes directly
to it bypassing any kernel related modules.

The tuner card works for me now, and has satisfied my quest for a
new thing to fiddle with for the day. ;o) My conclusion is much
the same as most other people's conclusions. FM tuner cards
*SUCK*. ;o) I'd *MUCH* rather see an AM tuner card, so that I
can pick up Art Bell on 15 different stations simultaneously, and
record him to disk, perhaps converting to mp3 or ra format on the
fly. Anyone know of any such AM card out there? I'm more than
willing to reverse engineer one and write my own driver if need
be.

If no AM tuner card exists, does anyone know of any digitally
controlled AM tuner on a chip IC's out there, or an AM tuner chip
that would require only a small amount of external circuitry for
interfacing to an ISA bus? Or is an AM Radio something that we
do not want inside our PC's? ;o) I've got lots of tin
shielding... ;o)

It would be so nice to wake up, have breakfast, fire up X11amp or
realaudio and listen to Art Bell's show from my hard disk while
not online... ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org