Re: How to enable LPSTRICT option (kernel 2.0.36 - printer driver)?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:15:55 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Sergio Orsatti wrote:
>
>> I have an Epson Stylus Color 600 and when using the irq mode to
>> print, it is very slow. Polled mode is fast. I've heard that this can be
>> corrected by enabling the LPSTRICT option when compiling the
>> kernel 2.0.36.
>
>It's not a compile option; it's an ioctl. You need to do something like
>this:

Ah well, just a bit of mess. In 2.0.36 the ioctl 0x060f means LP_STRICT
while in 2.2.2 means LP_TRUSTIRQ.

So yes you can just grab tunelp ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/tunelp/ and get
my first (and only) tunelp release. If you'll use the -T option you'll be
able to set/unset the STRICT flag in 2.0.36 I think.

Really I think we could drop the TRUSTIRQ thing from lp... It was a good
improvement here but the point right now is that if somebody really need
to boost it's better that he goes in sync with the latest parport code
that uses the FIFO of the port that does the compatibility mode handshake
in hardware... Killing the trustirq flag should be a one liner patch or a
little bit more, sure something of safe also for a stable kernel release.
Comments?

Andrea Arcangeli