Re: Linux and NT Workstation 4.0

Michael Riepe (Michael.Riepe@stud.uni-hannover.de)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:10:53 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 04:28:52AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[...]
> Basically, the boot= option in LILO should point to your Linux
> partition (not to the MBR), then after each run of LILO you need to dd
> the LILO boot sector to a file on your FAT (or NTFS, if you're gutsy)
> partition that you then specify in your boot.ini (I think it's called)
> file...

I wrote a little utility a year ago, called ChaiNT. It acts like a boot
sector on the NT side (i.e. you can enter it in your boot.ini file) but
replaces itself with the bootsector from one of your primary partitions
(selectable by number or by partition type). After that, you'll never
have to copy your LILO boot sector again. Have a look at

ftp://ftp.stud.uni-hannover.de/pub/users/michael/ChaiNT/

The README is in german, hope you don't mind.