Re: PROBLEM: Sending mail-attachment > 45k with Netscape via sendmail hangs

Matthias Moeller (mattes@ice.robin.de)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:59:15 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Marc Jauvin wrote:

> [1.]
> Sending mail-attachment > 45k with Netscape via sendmail hangs

I have the same problem with other applications. After your
posting I tried netscape and it hangs as well. I already
posted a tcpdump (Subject: "local tcp stalls"). Netstat says:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp localhost:1030 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 39960 localhost:1030 localhost:smtp ESTABLISHED

And after killing netscape:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 localhost:smtp localhost:1030 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 39961 localhost:1030 localhost:smtp FIN_WAIT1

You might want to try the 2.2.2-arca2 patch recently announced
on the kernel list. That patch reduced the stalls by 80% on my
machine. Anyway, they are still there.

I have a self written client/server to reproduce the problem.
If somebody is interested in it, I could mail it (about 4kb).

Unfortunatly it seems that only very few machines are affected
otherwise we should see much more bug reports.

ciao
Matthias