[OFFTOPIC] Re: 2.2.2: 2 thumbs up from lm

Spud (jason@artcomp-design.com)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:33:53 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> That layer can not be built properly:
>
> Normal systems dump core on 11 signals.
> Linux dumps core on only 6 signals.
>
> This can not be fixed really. Maybe just change 5 random signals?
> Nobody can know which ones may be changed. The kernel source contains
> no hint beyond the existing signals. I do not ever expect glibc to
> define the signals, since the potential for conflict is great.

sorry to be such a clueless listclogger, but could someone explain what
this means for me? What signals are being discussed? and are their really
6 signals that consistently bring down the system (are they supposed to?)
or JUST dump core? why so many?
and last question,
why is there ambiguity within the kernel and glibc about these strange
signals?