Re: [2.2.2] APM poweroff problem

Stephen Rothwell (Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:53:33 +1100 (EST)

> From: Nils Philippsen <nils@fht-esslingen.de>
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:08:03 +1100
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem to poweroff my machine when issuing halt -p.
>
> I turned on APM in the kernel as well as in the BIOS, but all I get to see are
> myriads of hex numbers in square brackets after the "System halted."/"Power
> down" message.
>
> The setup is the following:
>
> - Gigabyte GA6BX-E Mainboard with the latest BIOS (according to Gigabyte's
> website)
> - Intel Pentium II-350
> - 128 MB RAM
>
> running
>
> - Kernel 2.2.2 (Problem occurred since I had the machine, which is since
> beginning of thgey year --> since 2.1.1[23]x)
> - both using conventional VGA text mode as well as fbcon
> - RedHat 5.2 (with necessary updates installed (I think))

This is a know bug with some BIOS implementations. They assume that
we will switch back to real mode before we ask them to power off.
Under Linux we do not do this.

[I am assuming the emssages you get start with something like
OOPS: ... f000
]

Complain to Gigabyte.

Alternatively, someone could write me some code that (reliably) switches
to real mode and we could call that in the power off code ...

Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/