Re: 2.2.2: 2 thumbs up from lm

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:59:50 +1100

Nathan Hand writes:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > : Yes, but I've been doing most of my benchmarks on a PPro and plain
> > : P5's. And some of the target machines they have in mind are lowly
> > : 386's or 486's. 386 embedded systems are expensive enough, going to
> > : 486 or beyond adds a lot to the cost.
> >
> > Anyone who is telling you this needs to do their homework. Go look at
> > StrongARM and get NDAed. They will offer your pricing which is more
> > attractive and offer you a part that has far lower power and power/MIPS
> > costs. I know what I'm talking about, go check it out, you'll be glad
> > you did. If you don't get the info you need, contact me privately and
> > I'll put you in touch with the right people.
>
> None the less, several of my friends (engineering graduates) work with
> embedded systems at their day jobs and 386s are very common.

I'm not surprised. For many applications, a 386 is all you need (and
all you can afford).

> On another issue, I've been very upset by the behaviour exhibited by
> a number of people on this thread. It's an often repeated claim, by
> Eric Raymond or on Kernel Traffic or in half a dozen other places,
> that one great benefit of having the Linux source code is that
> arguments can be settled on technical grounds alone.

I agree. I've campaigned against the rampant flaming and abuse that
litters this list. I see no need for it.
On the plus side, this time around it's been less abusive and
personal.

> If there isn't a patch then this is all rather pointless. But I
> cannot see a great deal of sense in beating Richard into submission
> before he even tries to write the patch. Wait until it's written,
> then shoot big holes in it. If Richard does not write the patch then
> the problem goes away. If he does write it then Linux can only
> benefit or break even.

The last time we had this debate was back in September, when I posted
a patch which created a separate run queue for RT tasks. The patch has
been there for ages. See: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/

Regards,

Richard....