Re: Linux Driver - Select Implementation!

Jeff Epler (jepler@inetnebr.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:37:06 -0600

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 02:56:58PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > When multiple applications issue a select on the same device (driver),
> > Is there any way to notify only one of the application from the driver?
>
> No. The select specification is quite explicit that everyone sleeping is
> woken

What would the consequences be of a select-like call which had the semantic
that only one of the tasks sleeping for that resource was woken (the
longest-sleeping, perhaps)? (And, probably, all tasks sleeping because
of regular select()) To my naive mind it sounds like a way to avoid
the thundering herd problem. Are there unforseen pitfalls in this, or is
it more a matter of doing something nonstandard, or of the change requiring
widespread kernel changes?

Jeff

--
\/ http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jepler/           Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com