Re: An idea from a lamer

Tuomas Heino (iheino@cc.hut.fi)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:46:13 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Majdi Abbas wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> | Whats wrong with running a screen locking program on a specific VT ?
>
> If I recall correctly, the MCC dist had a packaged utility
> called 'lockvc' or 'vclock' or somesuch that would lock not just the
> specific VT involved, but prevent you from changing them as well.
>
> I'm not sure how that worked, or if it would be workable with
> modern kernels (last time I used it was probably about 0.99pl1?).
> Might be worth a look.

$ cat /etc/debian_version
2.0
$ vlock --version
vlock version 1.0
$ vlock --help
vlock: locks virtual consoles, saving your current session.
Usage: vlock [options]
Where [options] are any of:
-c or --current: lock only this virtual console, allowing user to
switch to other virtual consoles.
-a or --all: lock all virtual consoles by preventing other users
from switching virtual consoles.
-v or --version: Print the version number of vlock and exit.
-h or --help: Print this help message and exit.
$ who am i
bx3!t107234 tty7 Feb 27 12:39
$ (sleep 2s; chvt 8)& vlock -a
=> all VTs locked; chvt blocked somehow
$ chvt 8; vlock -a
=> vt changed to 8 & tty7 locked so that if anyone changes to tty7 then
the entire console will be locked... sick? ;)