Re: [OFFTOPIC] Potential GPL violation of Linux kernel by MOSIX?

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:38:10 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> I consider it a violation of the GPL. Its not like OSS sound where the module
> interface is simply used (that is viewing the _existing_ exported symbol
> set as an API) they actually hack all the code up to call their modules
> in ways it was never intended to and then to cripple the resulting code
> so it only works across a group of 6 machines.

I don't think your emphasis on _existing_ interfaces in the OSS case is
legally relevant, because GPL allows kernel development to fork. If
someone wants to fork off and go in a different direction, with new
exported symbols and new interfaces for modules, that's their right,
as long as they release their kernel sources and GPL their kernel
changes. That the reason for the fork is to better support some
proprietary kernel module doesn't seem to be legally relevant.

--Tim Smith