Re: MOSIX and kernel mods.

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
27 Feb 1999 20:34:07 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.990227222754.505A-100000@red.prv>,
Mike A. Harris <mharris@ican.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
>
>>> IMHO, this SUCKS. I say, *NO* thanks. Then Microsoft can put a
>>> big 10Mb GPL'd mod in the kernel that provides what is needed for
>>> their external embrace and extend addon binary modules, and we
>>> are FUCKED.
>>
>>Last time I checked, Linus was not obligated to accept patches.
>
>Obviously. The point is that using the hypothetical Microsoft
>situation, Microsoft could devise a patch to the kernel which
>does what they need, creating the interfaces/API's they need,
>etc, and GPL it, releasing source. Then write a BINARY only
>module which calls their GPL'd API.

And then the baseline kernel would turn around and redo all the
internal interfaces, leaving Microsoft with a carefully crafted trap
that *doesn't* *work* with current versions of the kernel.

Things fall off the baseline kernel all the time because of kernel
interfaces changing; How long do you think that Microsoft would be
willing to toss money down a deep hole just so they can piss off the
US Government that little extra bit?

>With their market clout, it
>would be possible for this bastardized Linux version to rise in
>popularity, possibly overtaking our standard kernel.

Microsoft has, what, one application that runs on Linux, and about 10
that run on Unix of any sort? Even at full speed, they'd still take
at least 6 months to turn around and release Office + the Windows
desktop on a bog-standard Linux. To add a fuck-you layer to the
operating system would take a lot longer, because they'd have to
write the f-y layer and THEN write their applications to it.

____
david parsons \bi/ If you're objecting to the thought that Microsoft might
\/ make money off Linux applications, well, I suspect you
were out of luck after Linux got over 5% market share.