Re: 2.2.2: Freeze (possible kb failure)

David Ford (david@killerlabs.com)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:41:28 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > >messages like "server not responding, still trying" and "task can't get a
> > >request slot" were appearing.
> >
> > It's a reported nfs client bug AFIK. I don't know if somebody is going to
> > fix it.
>
> Various people have been fixing the NFS client a lot. Notably Trond's
> work makes it go a lot faster and Linus has been doing some fixes to
> certain caching cases.
>
> The "server not responding" normally comes from true server congestion,
> the "can't get a request slot" is the client then backing up requests and
> is fine.
>
> The big problem one is with the VM - its quite possible to get a heavily
> loaded 2.2.x box to the point where it has no 8K blocks and thus cannot
> complete an NFS transaction. The existing VM layer fails to get out of this
> problem (block size aggregation isnt yet in it - though there are some
> patches for this too).

just to throw a little more weight onto the keyboard interaction, i can
nearly duplicate this. i have a 486 machine that will flat out act like
molasses in penguinland if you unplug the keyboard. pinging it will go from
.2ms up to about 10-50,000ms. all processes running on the machine halt as
well. a dozen seconds after plugging the keyboard back in, everything
returns to normal. the first time this happened, i didn't realise the
keyboard had become disconnected and very nearly rebooted it due to the
excessive lag from my ssh connection. this is not a ps2 keyboard.

this one is most like the above network timeout/halt bug.

i'd wager there are some funky keyboard interactions that exist out here in
userland. i have another story.

i have two ps2 keyboards from the same manufacturer. same brand,
everything. i have a computer that is very finicky. one of the keyboards
will -not- work when plugged into it. linux reports keyboard timeouts on
bootup. it will -not- work even if you unplug and replug it to reset it.

this keyboard works perfectly everywhere else that i've tried.

and yet another keyboard story.

i have another server that requires a power down/reset button everytime you
want to reboot it or the keyboard will not work. it'll act like the above
keyboard.

...give me time and i'll find more keyboard issues =)

-d

--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux