Re: [patch] PIII/Katmai & FXSAVE support, disable serial-#, 2.2.2

Daniel J. Frasnelli (dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:48:44 -0500

> Regarding this lamearse cpuid thing. Is the off switch and on/off switch?
>
> Ie can the cpuid be turned on again by any software? Or is it a one time
> decision for the life of the cpu or the life of a session (between power-on
> and power-off)?
It is my understanding that the psn microcode is only reactivated
upon system power-up and cannot be activated by a processor reset
"in-flight" during a Linux session. In other words, you do not have to
worry about the psn as long as you boot into a kernel with the deactivation
code. Of course, you could give the ppc or axp architectures a spin
and not have to deal with Intel weirdness altogether, but that
discussion is neither this mailing list nor topic of discussion :-)

Regards,
Daniel