Re: OSDI paper - IO-Lite: A Unified I/O Buffering and Caching System

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:00:58 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> > > though. Apache maps entire files at once and keeps a cache of file
> > > mappings to minimize this.
> >
> > Apache doesn't have a cache, it can't do an efficient dynamic cache as a
> > multiprocess server... (if you find a solution that works tell us ;)
>
> Funny - I thought I remembered _you_ talking about single Apache processes
> keeping multiple mappings around for caching purposes. Maybe I dreamed
> that, though I usually don't dream about web servers.

There is mod_mmap_static which you can use to make static mappings at
server configuration time... but there's no dynamic cache. If I was
talking about single processes keeping mappings around it was probably to
say "I've yet to see an efficient approach" :)

Dean