Re: which pci sound card does not have dropouts under load

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:40:16 -0800

T.Mertes@mobilkom.at wrote:

> Hopefully the subject does not sound to harsh.
>
> As stated in a previous mail I have problems when
> playing wav files with my sb 16 vibra:
> I get dropouts when the system is under some load.
>
> I got information about configuration and Alan states that this
> card is not really supported (Thanks Creative for not
> submitting the specs).
>
> Thanks for the help to the kernel hackers.
>
> So I decide to buy a new sound card.
> Someone suggested to get an pci sound card to avoid
> configuration problems (Which is exactly the same idea
> I had also, but forget to mention in the mail).
>
> I found in Alan's diary that he is working on a driver for
> an ESS Maestro sound card. Unfortunate when I ask in a
> shop for this card they state that the card is not produced/sold
> any more.
>
> So my question is:
> Which pci sound card(s) can the experts suggest (because
> the specs are released, there exists a good linux sound driver
> and they are sold now)?
>
> Some Information about my computer:
> Kernel: 2.2.2 compiled without modules (no patches) (SMP)
> Motherborard: Gigabyte 686BXDS
> Processors: Two Pentium II 350 Mhz
> Scsi - Adapter: Adaptec 7895 (build into the motherboard)
> HD: IBM UW 9100MB
> CD-Rom: Plextor 40X UltraSCSI
> Sound card: sb 16 vibra
>
> Thanks in advance
> Thomas

Me personally, I really like the Ensoniq AudioPCI / AudioPCI 97 /
Creative SoundBlaster PCI, which are all basically the same card.

They are pci (duh), supported by both ALSA and OSS, but not OSS Lite.
They have 2 DSPs, one that does playback/record @ 16bit48k, one that
does playback at 16bit48k. Nice mixer, four internal inputs(!!), one for
CD audio, one for a radio card, and two auxillary inputs.

However, it does not have a FM synth chip, ala Yamaha OPL2/3. So no
cheezy muzak in DOOM. It does do wavetable, but I have not looked into
using it, as I don't care too much. If I wan music with DOOM, I'll play
some Pantera or something.

I have experienced some skipping while under high load, and I have not
played with the dmabuf settings. I've had audio skips under high load
since the dawn of time, and always assumed it was because my CPU wasn't
fast enough; oh well, you live and learn.

Maybe some kind soul out there knows if the dmabuf option is settable
from a LILO boot prompt / /etc/lilo.conf file...

| Ian Eure
<ieure@crosssound.narrows.com>                                 |
| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of
thinking." |