Re: EXT2_UNRM_FL

Tuomas Heino (iheino@cc.hut.fi)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:17:34 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Tuomas Heino wrote:
>
> > ... now this raises another question to my mind:
> > Would it be possible to create immutable symlinks in a clean way w/ ext2?
>
> Set *any* of the aforementioned attributes - symlink's, erm, contents
> can't be changed, so any redirection is possible only via unlink()/symlink()
> or rename()/symlink(). Any of IMMUTABLE/APPEND_ONLY/NO_UNLINK gives
> protection against rename() and unlink(), i.e. on symlinks they are
> equivalent.

I guess we're not understanding each other properly... I meant to ask
whether setting immutable/append_only/no_unlink on a symlink is possible?
as in the current(?) chattr/lsattr follow symlinks...
# ln -s foo bar
# lsattr bar
lsattr 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
lsattr: No such file or directory While reading flags on bar
... and no I don't know where those flags are stored; do symlinks even have those flags?