Re: [patch] PIII/Katmai & FXSAVE support, disable serial-#, 2.2.2

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 16:31:57 -0300

Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu> said:
> Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com> writes:
> > Don't trust it! Spoofing the MAC address is quite easy for a knowledged
> > cracker.

> Fortunately, the average cracker is an idiot, so simple things like
> this are pretty effective. Really, the average cracker we see on our
> network isn't bright enough to delete shell history files. I doubt
> he'd be bright enough to spoof a MAC address.

Perhaps the cracker himself (itself? ;) isn't bright enough to delete shell
history, but his shrink-wrapped cracking tools might be a lot brighter...

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl