Re: RH5.2 won't install on Cyrix

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:03:30 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> That kernel image works with a Cyrix CPU. You won't be the first person
> who had a lot of problems with the older Cyrix 6x86 chips though - they run
> very hot, the earliest ones seem to have cache coherency bugs and the like.
>
> Before jumping to conclusions though - what is the actual error it reports

I have had the same problems with these CPU's. My fix is to boot the
install disk, get to the initial installation menus, then swap floppies
with one containing the set6x86 package, I run that, then swap back and
continue with the install. The key is running set6x86 as soon as possible
in the install process before the CPU gets too hot.

Adding a thin coating of heatsink compound between chip and heatsink helps
too. It is available at any electronics parts store and at such places as
Tandy/Radio Shack.