Re: Parition Slices ( waqs Re: OFFTOPIC: New MBR and partitioning

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 17:39:36 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> I'm kind of confused though. I though it already was in one of the
> 2.1.x kernels?

I wish. devfs is something I've had to track for a while now, since it
didn't make it in before 2.2.

> I did took there a brief look, and I see something like:
>
> | /dev/hda /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t0u0
> | /dev/hdb /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t1u0
>
> But I still don't see how does it make sure that it does the "Right Thing"
> and that the /dev/hdaX won't get renamed to some other id when there
> appears a new parition/slice.

The same way your scheme did. Keep in mind, the idea with devfs is to
eliminate the old /dev/hdX naming scheme, and replace it with something
more sensible (much like your idea was shooting for).

> I guess I could use those "full" names in order to ensure that it is
> unquie, but what about the old '/dev/hdX' names?

Even under your proposal, the old 'hdXY' names had to be modified. To get
what you want, you're going to have to break backwards compatibility. Or,
more accurately, to do it -well-, you'll end up breaking backwards
compatibility.

But, devfs provides a mode where the old names are exported to /dev for
intermediary compatibility. Hence, once your system software had been
modified to recognize the new naming convention correctly, you can
eliminate the compatibility symlinks.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

Linux labyrinth 2.2.2-ac7 #1 Sat Mar 6 11:06:57 CST 1999 i586 unknown 5:25pm up 3:48, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00