Re: Parition Slices

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:58:25 +1100

Adam Sulmicki writes:
> Richard Gooch writes:
> ->
> ->When this was discussed a year ago, it was my understanding that
> ->multiple BSD slices (for example) could fit into a partition (be it
> ->primary or logical). Is this not the case?
> ->
> ->If not, what is the complete story with partitioning, slicing and all
> ->the rest? At which levels can things be subdivided?
>
> [someone who knows more than me, may want add there their story]
>
> Yes, as far as I know "slices" can be both primary (dos
> incompatibile) or be "fit" into a dos partition.

Ouch. All right, I suppose there is a case to be made for coming up
with a comprehensive partition/slice naming scheme. The partition
scanning code is going to have to be modified.

I'll welcome anyone who wants to step forward and tackle this monster.

> What I'm trying to do is try to make Linux as flexible as possible.
> After all large part of success was that it was taking what's best
> and was embracing and extending it. It would not fuss like BSD that
> it is non-unix and "not want it".

Cough. Same has been said about devfs: it's "not Unix". OTOH, FreeBSD
seems to have come to terms with it.

Regards,

Richard....